Thursday July 10th, Somerset
General Burnside Island State Park Marina, Golf and Camping
Here are some thoughts about the Island in general:
• Par 71 golf course
• Measures 6394 yds from the tips (plays considerably longer due to the zoysia fairways and elevated greens).
• Multiple tee boxes, so the player can bite off as much as they want to chew.
• Exceptional shape. (Winter kill did not effect us at all this year).
• The golf course hosts the Girl’s High School Regional every year, and plans to include the Boy’s Regional are under way.
• The boat ramp on the island is one of the largest on Lake Cumberland.
Notes from the Golf Professional:
The golf course receives many great reviews. Most recently, the readers of Kentucky Living voted us tied for 1st place with Valhalla for their favorite course in Kentucky. While it is a great honor to be mentioned in the same breath as a course like Valhalla, as a State Park, we are an “every man’s” golf course.
1.) Reggie Hanson a former Kentucky Wildcat and professional basketball player played at Pulaski County High School. In 1986 he led his team to a state championship. Pulaski beat Pleasant Ridge Park 47-45.
2.) Tony Massey an All Defensive End in the SEC for the Kentucky Wildcats played his high school football at Somerset High School. Played in 80s. Also was starting QB in high school.
3.) Storm Wilson who currently plays for University of Kentucky Baseball team played high school baseball for Somerset High School. This past year Storm hit an inside the park homerun for the Wildcats that was featured on Sportscenter's top 10 plays.